I have the privilege to present this to my church family and friends this Sunday. I pray that you too will join hands with me to help others. Every penny donated to “Gideon’s 300” goes toward making a difference here in Detroit this year and in the years to come. -Jon
Gideon’s 300 is a financial commitment with the goal of raising funds to advance the mission of City Church.
Gideon’s 300! Make a difference in 2014!
Gideon’s 300 is a financial commitment with the goal of raising funds to advance the mission of City Church. Your commitment will help us start two more churches and missions in Detroit and allow to us purchase and run a Men, Women & Children’s home for the needy. By extending our reach and following our purpose, City Church will be able to bring the hope and healing found in Jesus and grow our church one life at a time.
Gideon’s 300 is a challenge born in the heart of Jon Jackson, Lead Pastor of City Church. He realized that if just 300 people would commit to give, we could change Detroit.
Background on Gideon’s Story
If you’re not already familiar with the story, well, you’re in for a treat. In the book of Judges, we find that the Israelites have once again turned away from God. As a result of their disobedience, God allowed the neighboring, lawless Midians to pillage Israel for seven years. Midian so impoverished the Israelites that they finally cried out to God for help. Then the Lord sent an angel to the young man, Gideon.
Here’s how Judges 6:14-16 describes that encounter:
So Gideon took the men down to the water. There the Lord told him, “Separate those who lap the water…from those who kneel down to drink.” Three hundred men lapped with their hands to their mouths. All the rest got down on their knees to drink. The Lord said to Gideon, “With the three hundred men that lapped I will save you and give the Midianites into your hands. Let all the other men go, each to his own place.”
A short time later, the Spirit of the Lord came upon Gideon, and he blew a trumpet, summoning many of the Israelites to follow him. Over 32,000 men showed up to fight the Midianites with Gideon. But that’s not what God intended.
Judges 7:2-7 tells us:
The LORD said to Gideon, “The people with you are too many for me to give the Midianites into their hand, lest Israel boast over me, saying, ‘My own hand has saved me.’ Now therefore proclaim in the ears of the people, saying, ‘Whoever is fearful and trembling, let him return home and hurry away from Mount Gilead.’” Then 22,000 of the people returned, and 10,000 remained. And the LORD said to Gideon, “The people are still too many. Take them down to the water, and I will test them for you there, and anyone of whom I say to you, ‘This one shall go with you,’ shall go with you, and anyone of whom I say to you, ‘This one shall not go with you,’ shall not go.” So he brought the people down to the water. And the LORD said to Gideon, “Every one who laps the water with his tongue, as a dog laps, you shall set by himself. Likewise, every one who kneels down to drink.” And the number of those who lapped, putting their hands to their mouths, was 300 men, but all the rest of the people knelt down to drink water. And the LORD said to Gideon, “With the 300 men who lapped I will save you and give the Midianites into your hand, and let all the others go every man to his home.”
What should you do?
Here are some practical steps you can take to become one of Gideon’s 300:
- Get a burden. This is the most important thing you can do. Devote some time to prayer and allow yourself to step out in faith…just like Gideon’s 300 did. These are extraordinary times here in Detroit and the need is great. Being someone who makes a difference demands sacrifice and devotion to God. Being one of Gideon’s 300 meant to live true, loyal, meaningful, and fearless lives in the face of the pressures of this world.
- Stretch yourself. Less than 1% of those who showed up to fight for Israel actually got to take part in God’s miraculous salvation. Challenge yourself to be in that 1%. Lots of people talk, but few show up to fight. What about you? Should you commit to become one of Gideon’s 300? Well, to be perfectly honest, that depends on you.
- It’s all about Jesus. This is a God thing, not a Jon thing or a City Church thing. Anyone can jump in and help. There are faithful Christians all across this great city and country and even the world who are burdened with Detroit. We are asking anyone and everyone to be a part of something bigger than themselves, something that can make a true difference here in Detroit. We are wanting to raise up a huge army of Christ followers who are willing to do whatever it takes to defeat the enemy and see souls saved and lives changed.
- Use the trumpets, jars, and torches. Use what you have and give what you can give. It took all 300 soldiers to defeat the Midianites. Gideon could not have done it by himself. Don’t shy away from jumping into this battle, but once you get in the battle stay the course and help us help others.
What Gideon’s 300 will do? (Where’s the money going?)
1. To help start two new missions and churches here in Detroit that will be centers of hope and life change. Each church will also function as a mission that will have a food pantry to feed the hungry, host drug rehab meetings and serve as a community center to help the needy. We are currently planning on two church & mission plants in 2014.
2. To purchase homes that can used to as homeless shelters and as Men, Women & Children’s homes. Over the last few years City Church has helped house over 6 dozen families. These Gideon’s 300 homes would help us where the need is the greatest.
Whats the Next Step?
We need you to step up to the plate and commit to being someone who makes a difference. Fill out a Commitment Card and turn it in at City Church or donate today online and setup reoccurring donations. Your giving and participation will help us achieve our goals. Will you be one of Gideon’s 300?